Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Happy Failure

So, my 2012 challenge was a bit of a failure (not complete*), and I'm OK with it. For 2013 I plan to fine tune this challenge and continue trying, because really that's what it's about, TRYING. I'm learning to make an effort to expand knowledge and experience.

I learned 3 key lessons in trying to maintain this blog:

1) I can't maintain a blog. I mean seriously, 6 months ago I said I would post soon.

2) I need to learn better organization (documentation) skills. I read, and listened to more new things than I posted about. However, with my lack of organization and wandering attention span, I didn't write them down. Therefore making it harder to post about them. This year I plan on utilizing Pintrest and good old fashion note taking on paper to remember things. 

3) Deciding what is really important and knowing myself. When I came up with this challenge I thought it'd be fun. However I soon realized that it was more like homework, and if you were ever my teacher, you'd know that I was never a fan of homework. Forcing myself to reach this goal, was taking the joy out of it. I also soon realized that all these things took time away from the studio, which is where I'm happiest. 

|==========================================|
2013 Challenge
Discover 42 new books and albums: Not 42 of each, but a combination of them. This way I can really enjoy and appreciate what I'm reading and listening to, not just trying to reach a quota.

Try 42 new things: This can include all the things that last year I mistakenly separated into different goals; recipes, restaurants, places, and concerts. Last year I went to some amazing shows and I hope this year I'll  be able to as well. I also hope to visit a few new cities and at least see one new museum exhibition this year.

Sell 42 pieces of artwork: This goal is the same as last year. The reason is I really need to start pushing myself, and realizing that I'm talented and my stuff is worth it (something I really struggle with). I'm starting to see my skills grow beyond the average enthusiast or advanced student category. I have lots of ideas and can't wait to really start working on a few projects that have been knocking around my mind. Fingers-crossed by the end of the year I'll have my own studio, in which I pray I'll really be able to bloom. I have even been considering starting a kickstarter project to help buy equipment.

Write 42 blog posts: A challenge within a challenge! 
|==========================================|

With these small changes, I hope 2013 will be a fun, productive, and informative year. I already have a stack of books ready, and new albums in a queue. I'd like to thank my amazing husband Brian, and our good friend Steve, for always suggesting new music and for their general support.

* The reason I don't consider 2012 a total failure is because when I tried to compile all the data, it all equaled more than 42. I read a total of 14 books (disappointing that I don't read more), and listened to 13 albums. I tried about 10 new recipes, some even in the fireplace during Hurricane Sandy. I went to a few great shows, the Bjork show being one of the best concerts I have ever been to. I visited Philadelphia  and there we explored a few places and  tried new things. I'm also very proud to say that I sold 10 things, it's a start. 





No comments:

Post a Comment