Saturday, May 12, 2012

New Place/Thing #3: Filling an online store; properly.

I've always tried to add a few of my pieces to Etsy here and there. I never really had what I would consider an inventory. I made this a goal to do and completed it.

First, I invested in a little lighting studio. It's OK, I wish the lights were brighter, but the price was right. I then decided what I was going to sell from all the things I've been making. It took me a bit to figure out where the best lighting set up would be, but once I did I shot everything, uploaded and then edited for size and cropping only. I had to re-shoot some stuff but I rather do that then mess with the colors and such.

I split up my stock between 2 web-stores, one on WePay, and the other on Etsy. I think the hardest part was coming up with prices and descriptions.

Adding all those items at once felt a bit overwhelming. I hope to learn from that and add stuff as I make it. I think I came up with a good system for organizing pictures and product though.

My next major goal for business is to sell at an art fair before the year is over. I'm aiming for one in late November, early December. This gives me time to see what's selling online, and also to make things. I also figure holiday fairs get the most business. Downside is that those cost a lot of money to be a part of and some of them have lengthy application processes. I'm going to try though. 


No comments:

Post a Comment